Dear BNL readers,
It has been a while -Nov.08- that we issued the last BNL. This was caused by the large number of issues we had to address in the last 10 months, we could not coop. to cover in a BNL. It goes without saying that we kept our members fully briefed at the 5 BARIN General Assemblies held in the meantime.
We did however neglected you, our industry colleagues and associates, somewhat. Apologies.
A lot has taken place during this period, so we restrict ourselves in giving a short recap on the main issues, developments, achievements, and todate press reviews as from August only. For more info visit our website www.barin.nl .
* The Ticket Tax has been reduced to ZERO per July 2009 and the Government’s plan is to abolish this tax law per budget year 2010.
In a joint effort with ANVR and IATA-BSP a mechanism has been set up to enable travel agents, touroperators, and airlines in NL to swiftly refund the already before 1 July paid TKT TAX by passengers, for departures after July 1, 2009.
Go to Members’ Room section "BARIN Points of View" for the following letters in the Section "Corr. State Secr. Fin. BARIN & Parliament Refund Tkt.Tax"
– Brief Staatssecretaris Jan Kees de Jager aan de BARIN d.d. 14 Sep.09
– Brief Staatssecretaris Jan Kees de Jager aan de Tweede Kamer d.d. 14 Sep.09
– Brief van BARIN aan Staatssecretaris Jan Kees de Jager d.d. 12 Jun.09
It is up to the Dutch Houses of Parliament to approve abolition of the TKT TAX, as proposed in the Budget 2010, by the Governments Annual Budget presentation ( Miljoenen Nota) on 14 Sep.09.
* The last couple of months BARIN, SAOC and KLM had various Executive Board Level Meetings with the Schiphol Group regarding very much needed changes in the AAS charges Consultation process with their prime stake holders – the airlines, aswell as exploring-discussions on very much required cost reductions and efficiency measures leading to AAS charges reduction. These talks were constructive, and the BARIN, SAOC and KLM delegations involved, do sense an encouraging change of attitude towards- and awareness of – stringent measures to be taken to regain a competitive position of AAS. The arrival of the new CEO mr. Jos Nijhuis seems to be noticeable in that vain.
*AAS has announced on 14 Sep.09 to freeze the AAS charges for the period April 2010 to March 2011.
BARIN is of the opinion that this AAS proposal is an encouraging first step in the right direction, but more cost cutting and cost efficiency measures have to be taken by AAS, in lieu with Dutch Government ( prime share holder of the Schiphol Group) support, in order to get AAS’s competition position back. BARIN has offered AAS their full cooperation to jointly find ways and means to achieve this essential goal ASAP, to our mutual interest!
*The formal Airline Consultation on this AAS proposal will take place on 1 October 2009.
* BARIN and SAOC reached agreement with AAS to refrain from retroactive correction on airport charges of Euro 6.5 million
* BARIN and KLM filed formal objections at the NMa regarding AAS charges effective per Apr.09, which resulted in a retroactive lowering of AAS charges with Euro 3,5 million by April 2009.
* The ADRA NL – GcL NL (ADRA NL " Alternative Dispute Resolution for Aviation in The Netherlands"- "Geschillencommissie Luchtvaart Nederland") operates as per 1 July 2009 in accordance with the so-called "Reglement" as agreed by the prime stake holders BARIN and Consumentenbond on the basis of the explicit condition, as agreed with the Minister of Transport mr. C. Eurlings , BARIN, the Consumers Association "Consumentenbond" (Cobo) and the Foundation of Consumer Complaints Boards (FCCB) "Stichting Geschillencommissies voor Consumentenzaken" (SGC), that a subsequent speedy implementation in the EU member states has to be realised in order to assure a level playing field within the European Union. The parties involved therefore requested the Minister of Transport to do everything possible to realise such ADRA-EU committee.
Furthermore, it is expected from the Dutch Government to use their maximum influence and give their effective support to ensure that non-BARIN members airlines, active in the Netherlands , will also have to conform to the dispute settlements made by the Alternative Dispute Resolution for Aviation Committee.
In November Cobo, BARIN, MoT, and SGC will organise a full briefing session for all airline companies (BARIN or Non BARIN members) active in The Netherlands, in order to make sure that all will be/become aware of the merits to comply to the ADRA NL. In addition publicity and brochure material on the ADRA NL will be prepared for airlines, Cobo, MoT, and SGR, to hand out to the consumer, when appropriate.
At the various BARIN General Assemblies held this year extensive briefings by the BARIN ADRA Steering Committee (BASC) have been given and approvals on the developing agreements concerning the ADRA Committee in The Netherlands (and subsequently in the EU) principals and operation methods have been given. The Minister of Transport has been informed accordingly, and in reaction has complimented BARIN and Cobo with the results, timely reached for a 1 July 2009 start of the ADRA NL.
For the required funding arrangements an annual cost budget for the first year has been identified for the SGC (Foundation of Consumer Complaints Boards – FCCB) to operate the ADRA-NL according to the principal "Reglement" as set by BARIN and the Cobo. The SGC will accommodate, in a facilitating/executing role and on the basis of a European perspective, the Dutch ADRA; to be used as an adequate "blue print" for implementation in the EU member states, once the ADRA has been up and running in The Netherlands.
For background info we refer to the BARIN announcement placed on our website home page, section: "Publications"; and in the Members’ Room public section "BARIN Points of View"click on: "Min. of Transport Press Conf. on ADRA launch 24 Nov.08 and ADRA launch Pressconf. 24 Nov.08".
Finalisation of the funding structure and a solution, to be found, regarding a dispute BARIN has with the MoT department, Inspectie Verkeer & Waterstaat (IVW), are to be expected in the next months. Once these issues have been cleared it is expected that there will be no outstanding issues in respect to the operation of the ADRA NL.
* After one year in operation the Advertising Code of Conduct on Travel Offerings has been evaluated by BARIN, ANVR, the Advertising Code Authority in NL (SRC), Cobo, and MoT. An amended and more stringent code has come into effect per April 2009. NS Hispeed has joined to comply with this Code of Conduct.
* In the first quarter of this year the BARIN SLTT Working Group has reached agreement with Dutch Tax Authorities on Zonal Fares as the taxation basis of Staff Leisure Air Travel, to be applied on Staff Leisure Air Travel Taxation effective as from the fiscal year 2009. All members concerned have been informed by BARIN, and received individually the respective agreement documents directly from the Tax Authority.
* In August an evaluation of the Dutch Aviation Act – chapter Economic Regulation – re. the "Amsterdam Airport Schiphol Operation decree" has commenced, initiated by the Ministry of Transport. This evaluation will call on all parties involved to give their opinion and input for improvement amendments. The evaluation process has various phases and will have to result into a Dutch Cabinet decision sometime in autumn 2010, for approval by the Houses of Parliament in spring 2011.
Economic regulation on 19 July 2006 the Amendment to the Dutch Aviation Act came into force in which the determination of charges and conditions is regulated. Schiphol was obliged to submit an allocation system which is the basis for determining the charges for aviation activities. This allocation system was approved by the NMa on 25 April 2007.
BARIN’s standpoint, expressed at the time of implementation of this Economic Regulation in July 2006, maintains its point of view that the amendment was a "A step in the right direction to secure by law NO abuse of power by a monopolist i.e. AAS". BARIN did however also voice that this Economic Regulation is not robust enough and pleas for a further amendment by adding additional essential measures to avoid the before mentioned abuse, and at the first available opportunity; which has come about at this current Evaluation, called by the Minister of Transport.
BARIN has identified these very much needed amendments and will present those in the Evaluation Hearings.
* Luchtvaart Nota – Alders Tafel
What is the Luchtvaart Nota about ? In a nutshell: the Luchtvaart Nota is paper stipulating the objectives of the Dutch Government for the Aviation sector. These objectives are a competing and sustainable network of an economically interesting network. This network has to support the optimal access to The Netherlands. The Government has chosen for a selective growth of high value traffic streams. These high value traffic streams is important for the Dutch economy on the one hand and on the other hand requires a high level of commitment for sustainability and safety.
Capacity for growth. The advise (result of meetings with all parties involved, such as local and regional governments, airports, traffic control, airlines) resulted in a "ceiling" number of 510.000 aircraftmovement till 2020.
Strengthen the economic regions of Randstad and Brabant by strengthening the point-to-point traffic from the airports Lelystad and Eindhoven
Support the development of Schiphol, Lelystad and Eindhoven by means of selectivity.
Land side structure to be optimized to guarantee the accessibility of Schiphol, Eindhoven and Lelystad.
Optimal competititive conditions of the airports in an international setting
The government has finalized this strategically important document and the Permanent House of Representatives Committee for Transport (Vaste Kamer Commissie Transport) has planned a hearing, whereby the various stake holders can give their comments/input. BARIN is one of the stake holders invited for the hearing. This hearing has been postponed at the initiative of the Minister of Transport. The reason for postponing is the fact the Mr. Alders first likes to reach consensus with the stake holders in the area of Eindhoven and Lelystad. This consensus is required in order to get another formal “Alders Advise” for these two airports to facilitate a growth of traffic.
BARIN input for the Hearing.
Taking the BARIN objective into account to re-present the common interest of all its members, focus will be given on the issue of costs of using the airport(s).
In particular BARIN will focus on substantial cost reduction/efficiency needed regarding the, seemingly uncontrollable, costs in relation to Airport levies, Noise levies (such as on Insulation of Houses) spend by means of the Geluid Isolatie Schiphol (GIS) program and the overhead cost of the Schadeschap Schiphol, the stapling of Security measures bij EU, and Governments directives, excessive cost on Security, and on the obsolete Schengen / Non Schengen separation (ID/Passportless travel is not possible at this day and age) , investments- and running costs, especially at AAS.
In short in Dutch: "Schiphol is geen doel maar een middel om als "facilitator" de Nederlandse Economie maximaal te ondersteunen"
* Ruthi Lifshitz-Frankel has left the BARIN Executive Board, as she has taken up a new post at the EL AL Head Quarters in Tel Aviv.
William Vet(U2), Léon Jansen (OS), and Andy Wong (CX) joined the BARIN Executive Board earlier this year.
Pim de Goederen (JL) is heading theBARIN Cargo Steering Committee, which was set up in March.
For the BARIN Executive Board Members& Steering Committees & Working Group Members listing, click on: The BARIN Executive Board" in public section page "about BARIN".
· Er is een BARIN Weblog aan onze website toegevoegd t.b.v. zaken waar BARIN zich mee bezig houdt of belangrijk vindt en waar belangstellenden en/of betrokkenen hun mening of anderszins kunnen uiten. De BARIN BLOG link vindt je op de website www.barin.nl , pagina’s " about BARIN" en "Publications"
Als je ‘s ‘n keer publiekelijk een relevant luchtvaart gerelateerd "punt wil drukken" , stuur ons dat dan en zetten we die in de BARIN BLOG voor reacties. Aarzel niet daar gebruik van te maken en bezoek – click op: – BARIN BLOG af toe toe eens. Je kunt ook middels de "Feed" mode op de hoogte gebracht worden, als er een nieuwe melding of reactie in de BLOG is geplaatst.
De BARIN weblog editor kijkt natuurlijk wel mee of een reactie "relevant and proper" is, anders wordt die niet geplaatst. "Spread the News" !
We invite BNL readers’ contribution , by reacting, commenting, and/or voicing points of view in the BARIN BLOG, or send your reactions or Point Of Views (POVs) to: email@example.com and we post those in the BARIN BLOG.
* Alamo Rent a Car and Rabobank Schiphol Region joined as BARIN Preferred Suppliers. On home page click on: "preferred suppliers" to obtain more information.
* More information is available on our website www.barin.nl .
* Press Review per 16 September 2009
Update latest press clippings and publications on the www.barin.nl homepage, button "Publications".
September – 2009
IATA voorspelt groter verlies 2009, meer faillissementen
AIR TRAVELLERS ONCE AGAIN IN THE TAXMAN’S SPOTLIGHT
Luchtvaart stevent af op verlies van 11miljard dollar – Maatschappijen zullen de crisis nog harder voelen dan aanvankelijk voorspeld.
Deeper Losses Forecast – Falling Yields, Rising Fuel Costs
Keiharde strijd in luchtvaart – Drie megabedrijven blijven nog over
Schiphol bevriest havengelden
CPH agrees to freeze charges for 18 months
Europese luchtvaart verkeert in deplorabele toestand – Herstel nog ver te zoeken
Meeste reizigers kregen vliegtaks terug
Schiphol laat havengelden ongemoeid
Amsterdam Airport Schiphol will maintain charges unchanged on 1 April 2010
Schiphol Group: Net result for first half of 2009 declined by 76.6 % to EUR 22.4 million
Commissaris van de Koningin in Noord Holland Borghouts ( o.m. ook voorzitter Schadeschap Schiphol) treedt af
‘Vrachtdivisie Air France-KLM op de schop’
Air France-KLM zou vrachtvluchten willen onderbrengen bij Martinair
Air Berlin en TUIfly zien af van wederzijds aandeelhouderschap
‘Luchtvaart schoner, zuiniger, stiller’
Nieuw restaurant open in de oude verkeerstoren
Rustig winter op Schiphol
Fatsoen – – – Beschermd
Vliegtuigpassagier negeert klachtloket
‘Reisbureauboekingen op min 20%’
· August – 2009
Schiphol weg uit top tien van drukste luchthavens & Schiphol Koesteren
‘Voor reiswereld is 2009 een verloren jaar’ – Minder mensen op zomervakantie
Continental Airlines to Join Star Alliance on Oct. 27, 2009
Air China raises stake in Cathay Pacific to nearly 30%
Schiphol valt weg uit top van mondiale luchthavens
Ryan Air niet automatisch de goedkoopste
‘Bijna een op de acht vliegtuigen staat aan de grond’
Peter Hartman, CEO KLM: ‘Iedereen heeft verstand van luchtvaart’
Air Traffice World Wide (Video)
Nearly 4,000 aircraft operators could potentially be included in the EU ETS, according to revised EC list
EL AL – NL General Manager and BARIN Executive Board Member Ruthi Lifshitz-Frankel appointed World Wide Sales Manager
Griep – Schade
Reissector blijft knoeien met prijzen – Internetbureaus voeren nu ’variabele kosten’ op
New airlines make their entree: Amsterdam Airport
IATA: Second-quarter improvement ‘disappointingly small’
BARIN Guest of Honor Astronaut André Kuipers in Dec. 2011 for 2nd time to Int. Space Ship (ISS)
Wit-Russische luchtvaartmaatschappij Belavia vluchten naar Schiphol.
Prijsvechter Air Arabia van start op nieuwe route naar Schiphol
Flinke afname vervoer Nederlandse luchthavens
KLM bereidt zich voor op dreigende uitbraak H1N1
IATA: Passenger demand stabilizing, revenue declines remain ‘shocking’
Nieuw EETCAFÉ in Oude Verkeerstoren Schiphol Oost (video)
Lufthansa reaches accord with EC on Austrian deal, still targeting 2009 operating profit
Contact BARIN Phone +31 (0) 235267207 Fax +31 (0) 235265811 Email firstname.lastname@example.org Websites www.barin.nl www.ikverticket.nl